When you get a smile makeover, you want to know that your investment will pay dividends for a long time to come. Not every cosmetic dentistry and restorative dentistry treatment has the same kind of longevity and durability but, when these procedures are done by an experienced Manhattan dentist, you can trust that you’ll get the best quality upgrades possible. The rest is in your hands.
The Longevity of Cosmetic and Restorative Dental Treatments
When a dental procedure is done well, it should correct a problem, improve function, or enhance your smile – sometimes it can do all three. You should feel confident about your smile makeover and trust that it will hold strong for as long as promised.
Some dental procedures have a limited lifespan. Other repairs can last for decades, even a lifetime. Depending on how old you are when you get your smile makeover, you may never need a touch-up or upgrade.
Here is what to expect for the longevity of some dental treatments:
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain is an incredibly strong and durable material. When crafted carefully and bonded well, your veneers can last for 15 years or longer. Innovations like the development of Microthin veneers are making this cosmetic dentistry treatment a great candidate for an increased lifespan.
- Lumineers: Another version of veneers, Lumineers are made with an even thinner but stronger porcelain and can potentially last for decades. When it comes to a smile makeover investment, veneers give you the most bang for your buck – concealing multiple problems at one time – which is ultimately a cost-saver.
- Teeth whitening: A professional teeth-whitening treatment done in your NYC dentist’s office only takes about an hour to complete – and it can last for up to three years before any noticeable change in enamel color. Efficient and cost-effective, teeth whitening makes tooth enamel multiple shades whiter, which makes even crooked or not-so-perfect teeth look pretty flawless.
- Dental implants: Dental implants are the strongest restorative dentistry solution. They replace both tooth root and crown and are intended to be permanent. They could, potentially, last forever, though wear and tear over the decades may require the crown to be replaced eventually.
- Porcelain crowns: A well-done dental crown can last between 10 to 15 years – longer, if well-maintained.
- Dentures: Dentures typically need to be replaced every five to eight years. Over time, they become worn out from use, and the patient’s gums can change shape which will make the dentures fit poorly. Many patients are turning to dental implants instead or fixed dentures for a more secure and long-lasting solution.
Get a Long-Lasting Smile Makeover
Your smile makeover can last for a very long time if you take good care of your teeth and gums, brush and floss daily, and see your dentist every six months for a check-up and cleaning. While a perfect smile is possible, nothing is foolproof. Some cosmetic dentistry and restorative dentistry treatments are resistant to stains and chipping, but a mouth injury, teeth grinding, or medical conditions can affect your oral health and the quality and durability of your smile makeover.
Learn more about what kind of smile enhancements are right for you. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Michael J. Wei at his Midtown Manhattan dental office on Madison Avenue.